- Created: Monday, 17 February 2014 16:30
This position will be part of and assist in coordinating a five-year (2013-2018) National Institute of Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR) project on health promotion.
Part of the Rehabilitation Research and Training Center on Developmental Disabilities and Health (RRTCDD) at University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), this project brings CU and TRE together with The Coleman Institute on Cognitive Disabilities, University of Alabama at Birmingham, and the National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD) together to develop, test and examine efficacy of POWERSforID: A Telehealth Weight Management System for Adults with Intellectual Disability. The project’s objectives are (1) to customize the personalized online remote weight management coaching system demonstrated effective in previous research for adults with IDD and referred to as POWERSforID; (2) to conduct a pilot study to assess the feasibility (i.e., acceptability and usability) and preliminary efficacy of POWERSforID; and, (3) to conduct a randomized controlled trial (RCT) to examine the effect of POWERSforID in improving health status and reducing body weight in obese adults with IDD.
The Developmental Disabilities Health Center in Colorado Springs is the project site.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with development of content for internet-based lifestyle intervention.
- Conduct telehealth coaching sessions with individuals of varying ages, health conditions and intellectual/developmental disabilities
- Work with direct support staff and family members in obesity intervention for adults with IDD.
- Assist with participant recruitment and scheduling of coaching sessions.
- Assist with research data collection.
- Create data collection forms, spreadsheets, flyers and PowerPoint presentations.
- Conduct literature searches.
- Maintain Endnote (journal article) library.
- Maintain scheduling of other telecoaches.
- 4-year college degree in a Disability-Related Field and/or Nutrition, Exercise Science, Health Education or related field (Master's degree preferable)
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with health coaching or behavior change counseling
- Minimum 1 year experience conducting research related to obesity, lifestyle interventions or behavior change.
- Intermediate computer skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Office managerial skills
David A. Ervin, CEO
The Resource Exchange
418 South Weber Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80903